THE POST WAR DREAMS (THE FINAL CUT) : LYRICS,REVIEW AND PERSPECTIVES

Let me begin by saying that I don't know what else the song can do - but I am sure it has a very strong motivational power behind.Its not a song which you simply listen and say - "Aw,such beauty did I find in there!'.Its far more than that and its much,much deeper.The Lyrics are here -

[Car sound, switching on of car radio]
"...announced plans to build a nuclear fallout shelter at Peterborough
in Cambridgeshire..."
[phzzt! of returning]
"...three high court judges have cleared the way..."
[phzzt!]
"...It was announced today, that the replacement for the Atlantic
Conveyor the container ship lost in the Falklands conflict would be
built in Japan, a spokesman for..."
[phzzt!]
"...moving in. They say the third world countries, like Bolivia, which
produce the drug are suffering from rising violence...[fades]"

Tell me true, tell me why, was Jesus crucified
Is it for this that Daddy died?
Was it for you? Was it me?
Did I watch too much T.V.?
Is that a hint of accusation in your eyes?
If it wasn't for the nips
Being so good at building ships
The yards would still be open on the clyde.
And it can't be much fun for them
Beneath the rising sun
With all their kids committing suicide.
What have we done, Maggie what have we done?
What have we done to England?
Should we shout, should we scream
"What happened to the post war dream?"
Oh Maggie, Maggie what have we done?

I could almost understand line by line Water's emotions regarding his father's death - nothing else can make a person write so emotional,according to me.This is the point I started wondering if you can be more left-wing,without the name of a party beside you.
I am not blaming any person,neither any party.I am meaning no offence but I just was thinking that David Gilmour is a supporter of UK Labour Party,he is left-wing,he has spoken about the left out in our society once or twice - but that was it.He never attacked Margaret Thatcher (huge fraud) in such a way,he never protested for the middle east.But Waters continued to do it,he received no special honours from the British government,that's true,but we all,these millions of fans know that he was so purely talented.What impresses me is that Roger was not diplomatic,what most of the world tries to be these days - he never even tried to be diplomatic.This song expresses his frustration about the Falklands War.Those British soldiers who lived every moment with the 
post-war dreams,what about them?They dreamed of a much less diplomat,more peaceful England. Coming to the review of the song,I would give the scores - 

MELODY - 4.9/5
INSTRUMENTALS - 5/5
LYRICS - 5/5
THE VOICE BEHIND - 5/5

As a Song - {(19.9/20) * 100%} = 99.5%

For the review of The Final Cut  from the same album please click on the link provided.

Data Credit : Wikipedia (Information about the album and Post War Dreams concept.)
Lyrics - Please refer to the What is a Perspective? section of this blog.








Post a Comment

0 Comments